Monday 9 March 2015

Q&A - Your Questions Answered


Were you trying for long before you fell pregnant?

Chris and I weren’t trying to fall pregnant. Florence was a very very unexpected surprise!  

   When did you start taking Folic Acid and Pregnancy Supplements? 

It is recommended that you start taking Folic Acid or Pregnancy Supplements as soon as you decide to start trying to conceive. Seeing as this wasn’t the case for us I started taking Pregnacare Plus with Omega 3 the day after we found out. I took them once a day right up until Florence was born!

When did you announce your pregnancy?

We told both of our Parents the day after we found out, not by my choice but Chris wanted to. We then told my Sisters, other Family members, and close friends after our 11 week scan. The rest of the World found out through Social Media when I was 17 Weeks Pregnant after our Gender Scan, once we had announced to our Family.

How did your friends, family, and work colleagues react when you announced that you were expecting?

Chris’s Parents were less than thrilled when we told them, and lets leave it at that! (Of course, they came around to the idea eventually and started to get excited.) My Parents, our friends, and our work colleagues were really excited for us and went out baby shopping straight away.

How did you cope with morning sickness and tiredness?

All of the anti morning sickness remedies that are recommended never worked for me. I tried everything! From ginger biscuits, to ice cubes. Nothing worked! Chris’s Mother then suggested that I should try Travel Bands, and they worked. I pretty much wore a pair right up until I was 22 Weeks Pregnant when my sickness subsided.

The weather was really warm when I was experiencing morning sickness, which made care journeys a nightmare, especially when I was driving to and from work every day. I learnt the hard way to always take a plastic carrier in the car with me for the times when I had to pull into a lay by to throw up... In the end I was able to recognise the signs when I was going to be sick which meant that I could take myself away and get it over with.

Regarding tiredness, I never really experienced it until the later weeks. This was around the time where Chris would be at work until Midnight, the perfect excuse to get into bed as soon as I was home from work at around 7.00pm! I worked as a Nanny meaning I didn’t start work until 3.30pm, unless it was the school holidays, so I was able to sleep in until late too.

What were your cravings?

I didn’t crave “bad” foods such as Chocolate, Ice Cream, Sweets etc, but I did always crave ice cold fruit such as Pineapple and Apples. I also craved Fruit Juices which I tried to ration because I didn’t want my sugar intake to be through the roof. In the later stages of Pregnancy I started to drink full fat Coke, which is completely unlike me as I only ever drink sugar free drinks or water. I’m not sure if it was because I “needed” the sugar. 

Have you ever struggled with becoming a Mother?

I have never struggled with becoming a Mother. I did, however, experience feelings of guilt when Florence was very young. Having a caesarean made it difficult to jump up and comfort Florence when she cried. I felt completely inadequate and a failure of a Mother. I also felt that I couldn’t make Florence happy, and that she was always sad. Whenever Florence was screaming in pain because of bad wind I used to become distressed and upset because I didn’t know how I could help her and make her feel better. As Florence has gotten older, and I have become more confident as a Mother these
feelings have subsided. 


Do you plan on having any more children? If so, what age gap would you like?

Should we be so lucky, I would absolutely love a household full of children! We need to buy a house first before anymore pitter patter of  little Baby Newbert feet. I think that I would like Florence to be in full time School before we have another baby.
 
What made you choose the name Florence?

Since I was little, I have loved the name Florence. Whilst sitting in the waiting room after finding out that I was carrying a girl Chris and I started talking names. I told Chris that I loved the name Florence, and he loved it too. And that was that, we would call our Daughter Florence. We didn’t tell anyone else her name until she born.

What other baby names did you have? And if you had another child what would be on your list?

Chris's favourite girl names were Florence, Holly, Leah, and Gabriella. His favourite boy names were Noah, Edward, and James. My top boy name was also Noah, alongside Henry and Oliver. Florence was really the only girl name I loved. We won't be having Baby Newbert number 2 for some time so it's difficult to say what we'll have on the name list!
 
What are your favourite things to do at home with Florence?

Florence absolutely loves her Bright Starts Spots And Stripes Safari Gym. She really enjoys lying under the lights and listening to the music, especially with her legs out! She hasn’t started grabbing at the toys yet but I still try and change them around every so often so that she has something new to look at.
We have recently bought Florence the Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo. Again, she can’t quite jump herself yet so I bounce her whilst she sits in it and looks around.
We also go for lots of walks by the Sea, sing songs, and snuggle up under the duvet.

What is your favourite thing about being a Mother?

There are far too many things – I love everything about being a Mother! I especially love watching Florence grow and develop. It never fails to amaze me when she learns something new or does something for the first time.

How long were you and Chris together for before you got engaged and started a family?

Chris and I have been together for two and a half years now. I fell pregnant after 18 months and Chris proposed after 22 months!

Are you going back to work? If so, what are your plans for childcare?

I will be going back to University in September to finish my Teacher Training, full time eek. My Mother will care for Florence once a week and the other four days she will spend either with a Child Minder or at a Nursery. Chris and I are still looking into our options and weighing up the pros and cons of each type of Child Care. Chris’s parents live in London so they unfortunately can’t help care for Florence, not that I would expect them to but I’d rather her be with Family than with a Child Minder or Nursery. It’s something that makes me cry every time I think about it but it is something that I need to do to ensure a secure future for our family. I guess that I should consider myself lucky that I’ll get to spend all of the School Holidays with her?

Thank you for all of your questions - I thoroughly enjoyed answering them!





No comments:

Post a Comment